27 July, 2009

Breakdown of a Fawlty Towers episode

Micheal Jacob, BBC writersroom blog

"So here, with apologies for the length, is my breakdown of a Fawlty Towers episode (we also looked at an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in a similar way). Fawlty Towers, of course, is effectively farce plotting, which is probably the most difficult form to pull off. But the engineering of the scripts, the ruthless application of consequences to every action, and the brilliance of almost every joke line being part of the plot means that there are general lessons, irrespective of comic style.

I'm here for the rest of the week, then on holiday, so if there are any comments I'll do my best to answer them before I go. And (disclaimer) this analysis is my own and not to be regarded as definitive. I watched a DVD and made notes on each scene, which isn't a bad thing to do if you want to teach yourself."

Article in full

No comments: