21 June, 2009

Finish the Frakkin' First Draft

Lisa Klink:

"You know you’ll have to rewrite the thing, many times, so don’t kill yourself trying to make the first draft of your script brilliant."

Article in full

(via Chris Chibnall )

**********************************************************

Billy Mernit:

"It was a continual perplexity to me, how many obstacles got put in the way of writing a first draft. Outlining was a tooth-pulling process in itself; some not only wanted their ducks in a row, they wanted to count the feathers on each duck. Don't get me wrong: I believe in outlining, to a point, and doing character bios and all the rest of it. It's just that, at a certain point, you have to take your toes out of the water and freakin' dive."

Article in full

1 comment:

The Brothers McLeod said...

This is so true. I'm currently writing a pilot of an hour long TV series and it's taking me forever because of displacement activities!

Also last year I wrote an on spec Doctor Who episode for the fun and experience of it - that also took a long time to finish the first draft which was all over the place.

It really only came together in the subsequent drafts when I was able to focus on story flow, shortening scenes, logic, dialogue and pace.

You can read the finished thing here:

http://www.brothersmcleod.co.uk/posts/view/177

Myles