02 April, 2009

Preview: "The Inbetweeners"


I was going to begin by mentioning the parlous state of British sitcoms but actually we've got several good shows at the moment including Moving Wallpaper, The Old Guys, The IT Crowd, FM, Gavin and Stacey, No Heroics, Peep Show, Free Agents and The Inbetweeners - which returns for a second series tonight.

The Inbetweeners is created and written by Damon Beesley and Iain Morris who are veteran comedy producers. In fact I was in contact with Morris when he was comedy commissioning editor at Channel 4. He wanted to produce my sitcom but wasn't prepared to up his offer so I turned him down.



The show is about teenage boys on the cusp of adulthood. The first series was seen through the eyes of Will McKenzie who was new to the school and ends up accidentally becoming friends with three other lads. It takes risks, it's confident but most importantly it's laugh out loud funny.

In the first episode of the show one of the characters has an Australian fake ID in the name of "Bret Clement". Co-incidentally one of the best episodes of the second series of Flight of the Conchords, featuring Bret McKenzie and Jermaine Clement, was written by them.

The Inbetweeners, E4, Thursdays, 10:00pm


7 comments:

Bingethink said...

He wanted to produce my sitcom but wasn't prepared to up his offer so I turned him down.

I think that story deserves a whole blog post.

It sounds like a George Costanza moment.

Andy Conway said...

Was it the episode where Jemaine accidentally sleeps with an Australian and has to deal with the shame and humiliation? I'm still giggling about that one.

Inbetweeners was, surprisingly, the best sitcom on telly last year. The writing was superb. Great characters. It pissed all over most 'adult' sitcoms.

[ I blogged about it here: http://www.andyconway.net/articles/inbetweeners.html ]

Robin Kelly said...

Sorry, Bing, it was a joke - I would have sold my sitcom for a packet of Smarties and a hand-job but Morris wasn't enthusiastic enough about it.

Although, now I think about it, I do know writers who have refused deals but it tends to be over creative differences rather than money.

Andy, Yes it was. (and directed by Gondry of "Be Kind Rewind").

Although the Ozzie vs Kiwi thing always had huge comic potential, it took Poms to really nail it.

The Brothers McLeod said...

I missed The Inbetweeners. Have just watched the start of it on YouTube. Very engaging from the start. I think I'll get the DVD.

Andy Conway said...

Heh heh. I was hoping it would be that one. Hadn't checked the credits. They really know how to take a basic comedy situation and take it to its extreme (and the Carol Brown song is genius, even without the Gondry visuals).

Good first episode for the new series tonight, I thought. Punching a fish to death always brings the house down.

Alan said...

Just watching the first episode of the inbetweeners so that i can go watch the movie... had a good laugh when i saw the aussie fake ID... i live just around the corner from Whitcombes Rd, in clifton springs... :)

Anonymous said...

The fake ID is almost my Aussie drivers license number, a few less and it would have been mine. Strange.