29 April, 2009

"If you're trying to write a screenplay, use a Kitchen Timer!"

MakingOf:

"KITCHEN TIMER" by Don Roos

The principle of Kitchen Timer is that every writer deserves a definite and do-able way of being and feeling successful every day. To do this, we learn to judge ourselves on behavior rather than content. (We leave content to our unconscious; experience will teach us to trust that.) We set up a goal for ourselves as writers which is easy, measurable, free of anxiety, and fail-proof, because everyone can sit, and an hour will always pass.

Here's how it works:"

Article in full


MakingOf is a new project launched by Natalie Portman and Christine Aylward that aims to show all angles of the filmmaking industry. It aims to provide an "intimate, fresh look into the process of making a movie by the insiders themselves."

Natalie Portman: "We started MakingOf because we realized that so much of what goes into entertainment creation is unavailable to the people who love and consume it the most. We wanted to give fans a way to experience that creation and learn from the insiders and thus MakingOf was born."

4 comments:

Sofluid said...

Oh what a fabulous website! Thank you for this link!

I'm not sure I agree with the Kitchen Timer method, though.

Personally, having a timer there would distract me. It's be like sitting an exam - keep looking up... How long left? Oh no, I'm running out of time!

Personally, I'd rather sit down and just write. More often than not I do end up writing for a few hours. I wouldn't want to be restricted by the hour, nor would I want to sit there and try and write for an hour when I'd probably be more comfortable watching something in order to relax or gain inspiration.

I do see how the method would help others, though. It's just not for me. I think I'm motivated and dedicated enough to make myself sit down and write even without a timer :)

Robin Kelly said...

Yes, me too, Shell. But should I ever lack motivation or dedication at some time in future - although I really can't imagine such an incredibly unlikely far-fetched scenario ever happening ever at all - then I would definitely try the kitchen timer method.

rob said...

Actually I've tried this on occasion, think I got it from Chuck Palahniuk's website, and it can help when you're really stuck.

Désirée said...

Thank you for the link.

It is really a good idea to look on behavior rather than content. I try to write at least a page a day. Just that I write every day helps a lot. The barrier to sit down and write becomes minimal.