21 April, 2009

Credit crunched competitions?

Bridge International Screenplay Competition have emailed me saying they have a half-price sale on competition fees. The deadline is 29 April and the discount is supposed to end tomorrow (22 April).

Their fees were always quite reasonable anyway (plus you get waived fees for next year's competitions) so it made me wonder why. Also I think Blue Cat have added an extra month to the deadline of their competition (1 May) that wasn't there when I added the comp to my Deadlines Calendar months ago.

I'm curious how much the credit crunch has impacted the competitions or will writers always find the money for entry fees.

7 comments:

Scaramanga said...

"I'm curious how much the credit crunch has impacted the competitions or will writers always find the money for entry fees"

Lots probably.

Lots of course is the correct economic term!

Actually I wonder if some of this is understanding on their part that their customers are being hit hard and so give them that little bit longer to save?

Charles

Rach said...

Hadn't realised until you mentioned it but I've entered fewer comps this year. No Page and no BSSC entries. Not sure if it is the recession or just wanting to get some bigger projects finished.

Robin Kelly said...

Charles, very generous interpretation ;-)

Rach, that makes more sense than chasing every competition as I used to do with half-finished scripts but competitions have to be carefully targeted, I think.

For instance I wouldn't hesitate to enter the Page which is one of the best competitions out there. But I'll never enter the BSSC.

Scaramanga said...

What can I say? I am a generous guy!

Can I just say, the quality of your posts are excellent. Some of the articles are of real insight.

Just a wee thank you.

Charles

Robin Kelly said...

Thanks.

Désirée said...

If they lower the fee, I would think that they hadn't got enough scrips entries, and then it must be something wrong with the competition. Not a good sign I would say.

Robin Kelly said...

Désirée, it's difficult to say for sure because I hadn't heard of the Bridge one before this year but I checked it and it seems to be a good one. Sometimes bad competitions are very popular (like BSSC) and sometimes good ones don't get enough publicity.