01 July, 2008

Back Up Your Files Day

It's the first of the month which means it's Back Up Your Files Day.

Stuart:

"
Gah! My home PC is dead. As a stone. Choir invisible. Lovely plumage the Norwegian Blue. Etc. Etc.

This leaves me in a horrible state of techno-angst. No Final Draft. No iPlayer. No podcasts. And all the screenwriting work I've ever done, I can't get at. I may have to revise my "backups are for wimps" policy. It now seems a bit macho to have been playing chicken with entropy."


Piers:

" I've just spent twenty minutes restoring a script from its backup.

Which is really good, because for an hour or so there I thought I was going to have to type the whole thing in again. Which would not have made me a happy bunny.

If you don't have a backup system in place, get one now. The moment of sheer heartstopping terror is bad enough when you do have copies somewhere else."

*******************************************

A simple back-up would mean emailing scripts to to your webmail account or copying them to a memory stick. But if you want an full back-up of family photos and videos and research and etc then you should think about an external hard drive or DVD disks.

I notice Maplin has got their 750gb external hard drive on offer again for £90 (although other stores and EHDs are available). Contrary to what some people say size does matter and your computer will find the extra memory will come in handy when performing normal tasks. These drives usually work out as the same price as DVD disks in terms of the amount of storage. For permanent archiving use DVD disks.


*******************************************

Don't delay, do it today. It's Back Up Your Files Day, hooray!


How to decide what data to back up

Back up manually or use Windows XP Backup utility

How to choose an external storage format for backup files

Mac OS X: How to back up and restore your files

1 comment:

Matt said...

I have never been able to get the hang of proper backup software and procedures. I always end up getting into a complete pickle about the various full backups, interim backups and how the bloody hell I'd back everything up if my hard-drive became shot with the backup software on it. So these days I just have a complete clone of My Documents on a portable drive and use Microsoft's Synctoy to keep the files up to date.