23 June, 2008

Word of Mouth: "Priceless (Hors de Prix)"


"A young gold digger mistakenly woos a mild-mannered bartender thinking he's a wealthy suitor." IMDB

In my mad Sharps/Bruntwood writing/rewriting frenzy I didn't have time to see any movies and thought I had missed this as foreign language films don't tend to hang about. However word of mouth business has kept it retained and hopefully it will replicate the success of Hidden.



The churlish such as the New York Post have dismissed it as lightweight and predictable, which on one level is true but it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I wanted something fun and I wanted something that stuck to the genre.

I was going to embed the trailer but, although it was nominated for "the best foreign romance trailer" at the Golden Trailer Awards, it gives away every single beat so there's nothing left to predict anyway. I actually saw the movie without knowing anything about it and was surprised by the story despite it ultimately following the genre expectations.

Highly recommended.



Official site
Metacritic

3 comments:

Hope said...

I sw it in French and was disappointed even though I love Gad Elmaleh. Perhaps the translators enhanced the script?!

Robin Kelly said...

:-)

Expectations do count a lot when seeing films and perhaps I liked it because I didn't expect much and so wasn't disappointed.

Or perhaps I liked it because it's brilliant! ;-)

Rode said...

great film
where do you think i can get the script/screenplay of this film