23 June, 2008

Rejection

"The truth is, a screenwriter is going to face rejection over and over again, and not just at the beginning of his career. There will always be a job you wanted and didn’t get, or a snub you didn’t see coming. Eventually, you learn that you can’t depend on strangers for validation.

At least, one day I hope to learn that.

If it’s any consolation, there are people who have it even worse than writers: actors. Whereas a writer might be rejected for his work, an actor can be rejected simply for their face. Or butt. Or voice." John August

6 comments:

Sal said...

Does this mean you didn't get on the workshop? Me neither....and 25 out of 600 wasn't bad odds. Still, am impressed you managed more than one draft in four weeks. If it hadn't been a competition, I'd never have sent my entry out into the big wide world, as I like to put my scripts in a drawer for a fortnight and come back to them with a fresh eye for drafts two, three, four etc. Oh well........next!

Robin Kelly said...

Actually, Sal - when I was putting it together - I never thought I would need it myself. I nearly bought an advance train ticket for the workshop as well...

It's definitely a time to put the script away in a drawer and move on. I still think my script was brilliant but there were, at least, 25 more brillianter.

Sal said...

Well, there is always a glimmer of hope. You might be one of the hundred who gets feedback. Mind you, I am now thinking I will be seriously depressed if I am one of the 500 who don't. No script is ever wasted though. It's always a lesson learned - and you might you some or all of it to write the masterpiece that gets you noticed.

Rach said...

Sorry to both. Also didn't get an email. But I was happy with what I wrote so that one heads off to the portfolio.

wyndham said...

Thanks for the post - I'm going to save all those links to my desktop!

Dave said...

Thanks for these Robin, it's saved me having to find a piece of hose that fits my exhaust pipe!