16 June, 2008

De-stressing

I've been in a mad Bruntwood/Sharps writing/rewriting nightmare. On reflection writing a play and a TV drama at the same time - which both have deadlines in the same week - wasn't an especially excellent idea. It was fun but slightly stressful.

The harder the work, the greater the sense of achievement and it's always nice to have scripts out there - regardless of the reception they will receive by readers. As Phill says we've got to go for everything. You've got to be in it to win it.


Commiserations to those whose couldn't crack their stories in time but I reckon Sheiky has it right. Competitions are motivational and look good on the CV, if we place, but the main thing is building the portfolio and deadlines whizzing by is irrelevant to that.

In the past, once I sent something off, I would just do nothing until I had heard back. Rather than count down the seconds until I hear the results I'm starting something new. But what?

My
Deadlines Calendar does have a few to go for. If you didn't have time to finish your play for the Bruntwood then there's the International Playwriting Festival which has a deadline at the end of the month. The subject matter might even make it eligible for the New Works of Merit Playwriting Contest with the same deadline.

If we're portfolio building, we need a half-hour, an hour and a 2 hours. Hopefully if we've started or completed Sharps that will do as our half-hours.

For my hour, I'm thinking about the Red Planet Prize, although it hasn't been announced yet.

And for those of us without an agent the Summer Challenge is a good excuse to finish that portfolio with the 2 hour film. Although the Calendar has plenty of film comps to be getting on with for those of us who are agented.

I will be blogging about my Sharps in full later.

Links:

5 comments:

Robin Kelly said...

US playwright, Evan Guilford-Blake emailed me about the New Works of Merit Playwriting Contest.

"Without wishing to seem discouraging, you (and the readers of your blog) should know that this competition is held in very low regard by US playwrights: The entry fee is much too high for the prize money paid, the critiques they offer are insubstantial and the organisation's production quality has been seriously criticised.

The contest isn't a scam; it is, however, not one that most experienced American playwrights are willing to enter. There are many others that have much better reputations, require lower entry fees and offer more substantial prizes and better production quality."

£13 is quite reasonable as an entry fee (and a reader's fee) on this side of the pond but perhaps not so reasonable when the prize is only £150. As with all contests,it's probably best to do a bit of research before parting with cash.

wyndham said...

I've been working on my Sharps/Bruntwood combo - except my Bruntwood is for next year. I figure even I could complete it in a year!

Robin Kelly said...

I always mean to try forward planning that far ahead which is why I revived the Calendar.

I will need three plays for this time next year: Bruntwood, IPF and the bi-annual Verity Bargate so it makes sense to start trying now and at least be constantly kicking around ideas.

Simon Moore said...

Erm, isn't the Bruntwood bi- (or possibly even tri-) ennial?

Si

Robin Kelly said...

It just might be, Si. The website talked about "last years winners" which confused me but when you click the link the winners are actually from 2005.