Think you can write for TV?
This is an open call by BBC writersroom to find the next generation of writing talent. We want writers with the talent, ideas, insights, and imagination to captivate an audience. We are looking for a fresh, surprising, entertaining take on a universal theme.
To apply, send us an original 30-minute TV script exploring 'the nation's health'. It doesn’t need to be a hospital precinct drama – you can explore 'health' in its broadest possible senses.
Twenty writers will be selected for a workshop, which will involve writing exercises as part of the selection process.
Eight final writers will be selected for a week-long residential, with an intensive focus on developing their work, craft, and writer’s 'toolbox', with input from BBC Drama Production and professional writers.
Each of the eight writers will also receive a £500 bursary, mentoring from in-house development teams at the BBC, and a showcase rehearsed reading with professional actors.
To apply, you must also complete our online submission form - which will be available from Wednesday 7 May - and attach it to your script. Make sure you check our submission guidelines below before you send your script to:
1st Floor, Grafton House
379 Euston Road
London NW1 3AU
Deadline: Noon, 16 June 2008
Masterclass: 28 June 2008
Residential: 28 July - 1 August 2008Submission guidelines:
- To be eligible, applicants must be aged 18 or over on Monday 28 July 2008, and resident in the UK or Eire.
- This training scheme is only open to those with no previous writing credit for a network television programme over 15 minutes in length.
- Only one application per person.
- Scripts must be legibly typed and formatted.
- Scripts must be no more than thirty five pages long.
- Applications must be submitted with a completed online application form.
- Submissions must arrive by the deadline, Noon on Monday 16 June 2008.
- We accept hard-copy scripts only.
- The selection panel’s decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a masterclass in London on Saturday 28 June.
- Successful candidates will need to be available for the residential workshop from Monday 28 July - Friday 1 August 2008.
- All rights in material submitted with your application will continue to belong to you, and if the BBC wishes to use it (other than for purposes of selecting writers), you will be offered a contract in accordance with the BBC’s standard practices
- Shortlisted applicants will be informed by Monday 23 June 2008.
- Successful applicants will be informed by Monday 7 July 2008."