03 April, 2008

"Write an episode of Hollyoaks" competition



Channel 4:

Update:

Winner announced: Jamie Austin. Article here.

" As part of Channel 4's new talent month we are giving you the chance to write an episode of HOLLYOAKS. HOLLYOAKS are on the look out for some of the UK's best new writers, so whether you are a fan or an established writer then this competition could be for you.


TRANSFORMED
All you have to do is script four scenes based on an old storyline. The winner will be given exclusive access to HOLLYOAKS' storylines, be commissioned to write an entire episode and work with the production team to see their episode transformed on TV.

BRYAN’S ADVICE
To enter our HOLLYOAKS writing competition then simply follow the step by step guide in our competitions section and read through the example documents. Check out our top tips from HOLLYOAKS Producer Bryan Kirkwood, with our Bryan's Advice section, to help you on your way. Good luck! "


  • You must be over 16 and a UK resident to enter.
  • The competition closes at 3pm on Friday 11 April 2008. All entries must be received by the end of the competition.
  • If you have been chosen to win we will contact you by phone or email. You will need to respond within 24 hours of this or another winner will be chosen.
  • The prize is the opportunity to write a full script of Hollyoaks. If travel or accommodation is required this will be provided. If you win you will need to be available to write a full script of Hollyoaks in the week commencing Monday 21 April 2008 for two to three weeks.
  • You may only enter this competition once. If you enter more than once you will not be eligible to win.

10 comments:

Lucy said...

RU entering this, Robin?

Robin Kelly said...

It seems too good an opportunity to miss if you want to write for continuing drama. I will probably try and write the scenes anyway as it's a great writing exercise and then see how I get on.

I actually saw it announced in The Stage on April Fools Day but there was no mention of it on the Channel 4 website for ages. That would have been the cruellest trick ever.

Lucy said...

Too right!

Writing for soap is a hell of a lot harder than it looks, soap snobs amuse me.

Lucy said...

Anyone know if there's a winner for this yet? They start the commission Monday apparently (Apr 21) so presumably would've heard by now...

Robin Kelly said...

I interpeted it as the week beginning the 21st which would include time for an induction, time for panicking, time to be re-assured and then time to write.

Lucy said...

And the winner is...

Not us. Someone called Jamie Austin.

Congrats to Jamie, commiserations to everyone else for another shattered dream biting the dust. 'Tis the life of a writer. Mourn it and move on... I will be.

Robin Kelly said...

Yes, congrats, whatever.

Where did you find out the info?

I notice from his Myspace page he calls himself sad for liking Hollyoaks. I was proud to love it and watched every single episode but now I'm never watching it again.

Anonymous said...

Just had this brought to my attention and thought I might clear something up. The Jamie Austin who calls himself sad on his MySpace page for watching "Hollyoaks" is not the writing competition winner. I know that for a fact because I'm the person who won the competition and I don't have a MySpace page! Also, as Lucy has pointed out, writing for soap is damned hard!

Robin Kelly said...

Sorry, real Jamie! Congrats on your win and I look forward to seeing your ep.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I didn't want to be a pain but I as you could see, I'm somewhat different to my interesting namesake! Writing the episode has been very hard work (and would have been pretty much impossible without the tireless support of the superb script editor) but I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Thanks again.