20 February, 2008

"Top of The Bill"

The Guardian:

"Viewers love them - but the industry is still snobby about continuing dramas. So will police and hospital shows ever get the praise they deserve?" " At a recent Royal Television Society event, Bryan Elsley, co-creator and writer of Skins, bemoaned that some drama is made in such high volume that it is stripped of meaning. "I started writing on Casualty in the late 1980s and in those days we made 12 episodes a year," he said. "Now they make, I think, 49 episodes a year. That means something for the meaning and the content, and the focus and commitment of the show."



1 comment:

Jon Peacey said...

There's a really revealing quote from Johnathan Young in that piece:
" I like the fast turnaround and I like talking to doctors and to cops. I like being involved in a show that gets me into the real world, and what makes these shows successful are their down-to-earth, blue-collar heroes."

I have long since come to conclusion that TV people do not live in the same reality as the rest of us: I've noticed everybody in TV dramas now lives in nice houses with expensive cars and shiny children (*joke*). The thing is, since when were the 100K a year GPs 'blue-collar'? When were Doctors ever blue collar- they were always the most respected, best educated members of a community. Any policeman outside the ranks is on 60K+, university educated, fast-tracked and has often barely seen 'the street'. Ditto the head-teachers of something like Waterloo Road. More often than not when I watch a Casualty, (particularly) Doctors or Holby what I see is rich, urban, upper middle-class, desperately PC characters who so wonderfully and benevolently sort out the problems of the 'poor benighted working class types' while delivering lectures about why their attitudes are wrong. Frequently it seems deeply patronizing.

I've cut the rest of what I was going to put as I just start frothing at the mouth and rocking on my haunches. I think my main point is that certain influential media people do seem to live in a parallel universe where upper-middle-class is the norm and anybody else is 'Shameless'.