12 December, 2007

Chris Weitz, "The Golden Compass", interview

Moviesonline:

" Q: From a writer's point of view, your adaptation of 'About a Boy' was updated to the time that you were making it. How much more faithful were you to Pullman and why would this have been maybe less flexible in adaptation?


Weitz: Well, let me see. 'About a Boy' is focused so much on the songs of Nirvana and there was no way that we were ever going to get them anyway and I think it's one thing to sort of have a period film which is set, say, in the '50's or what have you, but to have a period film that was set seven years earlier just didn't make any sense in terms of 'About a Boy'. I mean, I hope that I've been really faithful to Pullman. I had a similarly good experience, my brother and I did, working with Nick Hornby. He was more occupied actually writing stuff at the time and I had more access to Pullman than we did to Nick, at that time. So I was able to sort of check in with him at various points to sort of check the fidelity of something that I was doing and he was also really gracious about allowing me occasionally to elaborate or improvise on things that he hadn't come up with yet. So I think the movie tries to be very faithful to the spirit of Pullman. It's not always faithful to the letter of Pullman, but I think it's important that we tighten down and that the second and third books become more and more faithful to the letter of his books. "

No comments: