03 November, 2007

Alex Perez - Scab Writer

I mentioned in the previous post about scab writers wanting to work during the strike but some smarmy get called Alex Perez has taken it to a whole new level.

I really shouldn't be helping to promote this opportunistic scumbag but I felt you should know the depths some people are willing to sink.

------------------------------------------

Alex Perez - Writer for hire

" Welcome film industry!

Allow me to introduce you to the newest member of your writing staff…me!

I have long believed that good things come to those who wait for the right situation to emerge. I have also long believed in aiding those in need during times of struggle and strife. That’s why I want to team up with you, Hollywood, to help make 2008 the best year at the box office ever!

I’m Alex Perez, and while I may lack experience, I make up for it with a go-get-‘um attitude that can’t be matched. Let’s be realistic, there’s a chance a writers’ strike might happen, and while nobody wants that to occur, we all need to start making the necessary plans in case it does. Thank you for your support and please think of me when hiring your screenwriter for the future.

Sincerely,

Alex Perez

Don’t just take my word for it, watch my videos! "

9 comments:

Piers said...

You should try watching some of his videos...

I think if this strike goes on, Alex Perez may truly be the future of Hollywood Movies.

James Moran said...

What does "go-get-'um" mean? Go get thum? Who are thum? And why should thuy be got? Someone needs to investigate thus.

Liz Holliday said...

I watched a couple of his videos... it's fairly obvious why he's so desperate. Sad, really.

Anonymous said...

How is nobody but me laughing at this? Sure emotions are raw right now, but guys - it's a joke.

If comedy = tragedy + distance... then maybe you will come to appreciate this in time.

Robin Kelly said...

I think the guy's freakin' hilarious. I went along with the artifice, in my usual po-faced style, for the comic effect - which may have misled people. Although I did label the post 'humour'.

He's managed to be utterly convincing to loads of people, because it's such an accurate characterisation.

I'm probably being too generous but I'm hoping the "go-get-'um" was deliberate too.

Ironically, once the strike is over, he's probably going to get loads of writing (and acting and directing) work.

I think the videos load quicker on his You Tube page. The Robert de Niro and the Halloween are a bit less subtle.

Liz Holliday said...

Totally caught me (I didn't spot your label) - always assuming you're right. I hope for his sake you are. Having said that, I used to edit a couple of semi-pro fiction magazines and a large percentage of the slush (ie unsolicited submissions) that came in were as bad as these videos - and some of the letters were very much in the vein of 'let me save your magazine from those other illiterates you've been publishing'. Only with spelling mistakes. So I could completely believe that scriptwriting would spawn the same...

Robin Kelly said...

Liz, that's why I would have made deliberate spelling errors.

The reason I'm sure it's a gag is that while he's spot on with the bad editing and directing style, the comic timing is also spot on which you can't get by accident.

James Moran said...

I'm such a muppet. Didn't see the vidoes or the tag, and assumed it was real...

Liz Holliday said...

Hmm. I watched a couple of his trailers and didn't find them funny - I suppose if I had I might have realised it was a joke. (Can it be not funny and still be a joke? Then again, humour is just so subjective... I found these cringe-worthy but not funny - same reaction I had to The Office.)