01 September, 2007

Back Up Your Files Day


It's the first of the month which means it's Back Up Your Files day.

If you're just finished your Red Planet Prize script or are still working on it then copy them across to your flash drive or external hard drive or email them to your webmail account.

The worst case scenario for me was my computer crashing after all the work I had put into my entry so I had lined up alternative computers to use with the backed up files. But trying to prevent my computer crashing in the first place also needs doing.

I like collecting pictures of Paris Hilton but one site I went to infected my computer. A friend said they bet it's not the first time someone found Paris Hilton and got a virus. He thought that was funny. It wasn't and so I killed him. OK, I only blanked him but he deserved to die.

I have an Internet security suite and firewall which prevents the really nasty malicious stuff but was a bit rubbish with adware and spyware. The result of the infection was that I would click on a link and the link would take me somewhere else entirely and there would be annoying pop-up adverts (is there any other kind?).

Anyway, my anti-virus software detected there was a problem but didn't know how to get rid of it. Technically adware isn't a virus and so I shouldn't complain but I complained like mad - loudly and using lots of swears. What was I to do? SuperAntiSpyware to the rescue.

SuperAntiSpyware is a free adware and spyware removal program. I have since upgraded my security suite but I'm still using it. You can right-click on a file you have downloaded and scan it for adware/spyware.

This PC World magazine download page has lots of free software to help keep your computer healthy, like registry cleaners.

Also defragmenting your hard drive on Back Up Your Files Day would also be a good idea. It might take a long time but it has to be done regularly. This is how to do it on a mac.

Don't delay, do it today. It's Back Up Your Files Day, hooray!

How to decide what data to back up

Back up manually or use Windows XP Backup utility

How to choose an external storage format for backup files

Mac OS X: How to back up and restore your files

No comments: