06 June, 2007

Hit series lead to writer typecasting

Variety:

"A few years back, Ronald D. Moore was eyeing his next career move after a successful decade writing and producing for the "Star Trek" television franchise.

But as far as his chances of finding work outside the sci-fi genre were concerned, he might as well have plied his trade at Astro Burger.

"When I left 'Star Trek,' it was kind of a rude awakening," recalls Moore, now a "Battlestar Galactica" executive producer. "It turned out that my agent said, 'Would you mind specing something?' I said, 'Huh?' He said, 'No one will read a "Star Trek.'"

To this day, writer typecasting remains alive and well in Hollywood, and the burden rests on scribes to find their way out."

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Sorry I called you a Geek by proxy, Robin.These are for you.

Robin Kelly said...

Thanks Lucy, but there's no issue, honestly. I've printed it off and put it water.