19 May, 2007

The Scales of Life

Verging Writer:

"This week's quote is from Notes On A Scandal. Spoken by Judi Dench's character (Barbara) to Cate Blanchett's character (Sheba), whilst sitting on a park bench, this line reverberated personally in heart & mind.

"When I was young I had such a vision of myself. I dreamt I'd be someone to be reckoned with - you know - in the world, but one learns one's scale."

How very sad - isn't it? - to "learn one's scale." To sense a lessening of one's optimism for one's future, for one's contribution to the world, for one's ability to leave one's mark. After all, we all want our lives to have meant something - something more than plain ordinary. Don't we?

Like Barbara, I myself am these days struggling to find personal and professional fulfilment in the face of oftentimes crushing disappointments. I am therefore mindful of the ominous warning lurking below the text of this line. Don't let the world teach you your scale. Determine it for yourself on your own terms. Be your own scale! Be a force to be reckoned with! Be for ever true to your vision of yourself!"

2 comments:

Liz Holliday said...

Robin, I know we've had our disagreements in the past, but I needed to hear this right now. Thank you for posting it.

Robin Kelly said...

You're welcome, Liz. I'm sure we're not the only ones who needed to hear it.