28 February, 2007

Kia Cee'd writing exercise

I was on the phone and the sound was down on my TV when my attention was drawn to the arresting images in the Kia Cee’d car commercial. My friend realised I wasn’t listening and then we got into an argument about me not always being there for her but that’s by the by.



The thing about that ad was that it raised questions and when I next saw the ad with the sound turned up, those questions were actually looped throughout: how, where, when, why.



Writing visually is not my strongest area so I was impressed that a few wordless seconds could suggest so much story. And that’s the basis for this three-part writing exercise.

Click for bigger image
(Click picture for larger image)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1

  • Who are the people involved?
  • Where are they?
  • When is this taking place - at what point in their lives?
  • How have they ended up here?

You can see how story can come from character and it might be a good way to kick-start some original story ideas.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Part 2

Try and write a similarly short wordless scene which will similarly intrigue viewers to find out more from any of the following key words:

  • Bank
  • Shredding
  • Worry
  • Ducks
  • Retirement
  • Glad
  • Burning
  • Dentist
  • Ripped
  • Wave

As well as practice our visual storytelling, perhaps something may kick-start some story ideas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 3

I haven't managed to found out for sure but I believe the scenes are connected to a larger story. Can you contruct an outline of a film based on the images in that ad?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tagline for the ad is “The Power to Surprise” and I feel that’s what our scripts need to succeed - not only for our images and imagination to intrigue - but the power to surprise people who have read hundreds of scripts and seen hundreds of films.

Oh, and if anyone from Kia is reading this, I’d like my free one royal blue with white go faster stripes. Cheers.

Links:

Making Your Screenplay Visual

Writing Style That Sells -- Show, Don't Tell

2 comments:

Dan said...

Sorry, what was this post about? I wasn't paying attention.

Robin, meant to drop by earlier and say how much I'm enjoying 'Heroes'. You're bang on, 4400 meets X-Men. Seems a shame it's stuck on Sci-Fi really.

Cheers.

Robin Kelly said...

Don't worry about it, a more interesting post will be along soon. :)

Regarding Heroes, glad you're enjoying it and it gets even better.