01 January, 2007

Happy New Year!



This is the traditional time to make lots of unrealistic and unachieveable resolutions. While that's a hard habit for me to break, I know I've got to because it simply doesn't work. For instance, I didn't even get to meet Scarlett Johanssen last year, never mind marry her and have a baby.

One possible aim could be getting on the Eastenders writing staff before the end of the summer but that's unrealistic. Instead, aiming to "finish outlining a one hour TV spec" is more achievable. You then set your next mini-goal which may be "to finish a a first draft" and so on. Once these mini-goals have finished, you might find yourself with a reader-proof final draft spec script which will get you work, if not on Easties then Doctors. Instead of ending up frustrated and blocked and giving up.

Your goals should be something you know you can do and something you want to do for yourself. I knew a writer who rushed through spec script after spec script and rejection after rejection because he not only wanted the money from selling a script but he also wanted to prove to his ex that he could write as she kept slagging him off about it. (No, I'm not talking about me. I'm on friendly terms with all my exes.) That writer eventually gave up.

I want to get back to writing for the fun of it, writing what I would like to see and try not to be so influenced by the politics of the business we call show. At least that's easily achieveable.

3 comments:

Optimistic_Reader said...

Good luck with your goals for 07 Robin and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

like the new layout!

Robin Kelly said...

Cheers, I finally worked out how to get the new blogger features to work - use Firefox instead of IE7