07 April, 2006

Knowing the Ending

Following my recent questioning of going into production on a script you haven't finished the ending for, I came across this quote from TV A-lister Stephen Gallagher:

"It's good practice to know your ending in advance. This means knowing where you're going, what point you ultimately plan to make, before you start. Every story has a point; not necessarily a message, but a point. How to define the point? Put simplistically, somebody learns something they didn't expect to learn. "

from his article "The Spine".

Stephen has also generously posted the pitch document to The Eleventh Hour , the now cancelled ITV drama series on his website

5 comments:

Dom Carver said...

Like Momento you should start with the ending and work your way back. If you don't have the ending it's not a complete story, just an idea.

Dom Carver said...

Sorry, I meant Memento. Drunk...it's my birthday after all.

:-)

Up the Villa, by the way my fellow Brumlander - HIC!

Robin Kelly said...

Happy birthday!

I support Blues actually but I can't say 'down the Villa' as I'm worried about the Karmic implications. So I have to hope for all the West Mids teams to be safe at the end of the season. :)

Optimistic_Reader said...

Hi Robin, like the snazzy new look! And cheers for adding me to your links :-)

Robin Kelly said...

Thanks Oppy, likewise :-)