17 January, 2006

Golden Globes



(left) Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry pose with their Golden Globe for Best Screenplay for 'Brokeback Mountain'.


The Golden Globe Awards winners were announced today but it comes as a surprise to most people how unprestigious the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, who dish out the awards, actually are. The organisation consists of about 80 freelance writers of whom only a third are working foreign journalists with most of the rest living off their pensions. This explains why the forced, tired comedy of Mrs Henderson Presents gets a nod as best comedy or musical but 40 Year Old Virgin did not.

While I expected BBC Breakfast News to focus on what the Brits won or didn’t, I didn’t expect them to completely ignore the television category. Witness the witless reporter whinging that only Rachel Weisz won something when Hugh Laurie had won best actor for House in a very tough category for a show that many millions more people will see than saw The Constant Gardener. Perhaps they were more worred about promoting award-winning Channel Four and Five imports than imparting the facts.

Don’t get me wrong, The Constant Gardener was excellent and I wish more people had seen it but I question the automatic assumption that movies are more important than television. Look at some of the nominated shows this year: Lost, Prison Break, Rome, 24, House, Desperate Housewives and The West Wing. You would be hard pressed to find better writing in the movie theatres amongst the hundreds of films released but the showrunners have to produce that quality week in and week out for half the year in the most competitive market in the world.

And yes, I did deliberately miss out two of the best television series nominees from my list of greats: Grey’s Anatomy and Commander in Chief. I’ll explain why later in the week. OK, I admit that as cliffhangers go that's hardly the opening of the hatch in Lost but it’s all I’ve got.

By the way, can I get some kudos for writing so much about Golden Globes without making a single pathetic, puerile sexist joke about breasts, like "I'd like to get my hands on some Golden Globes" as other lesser writers have done. I'm really rather proud of myself.

2 comments:

Piers said...

Ooh, so close, and then you blew it at the end.

Robin Kelly said...

Oh, curses!